Monday, December 17, 2007

Sometimes things just don't come out like you wanted

Sometimes things just don't come out like you wanted. Here is a funny example in the form of an email I just got:

Subject: Printer problem

A worker got a pen stuck inside our printer trying to remove a piece of paper. After several times of trying to pry it out I told him to just put a note on the printer telling folks not to use it and then report it to the Help Desk. So he grabbed a piece of paper and scrawled on it. I left before he finished the note.

About 20 minutes later, one of my techs comes in laughing and says he had fixed the printer but thought I'd like to see the piece of paper that was left on the printer.

Below is what he found. Sometimes things don't always come out the way you want them to........









I really like the people in my building at work. I honestly do. They are all interesting and nice and even though we have many different personalities I think we all get along very well. I enjoy talking with everyone at the end of the day when the patients are in bed and things start to get a little quieter.



Sometimes there are those moments though. You know those moments when you try to say something and it just doesn't come out the way you intended. Most of the time everyone just laughs because they realize what you meant to say or what the intention was. Then other times it is a big misunderstanding and people get their feelings hurt.



I got my feelings hurt a few weeks ago because of a comment that was made. It probably wasn't meant to be hurtful but it really got to me. I tend to be a bit sensitive at times and it had been a long day. The patient I was working with was, well, lets just say he was being less than helpful.



One of my co-workers was watching all of this and said, "He never acts that way when I have him." I thought that was a pretty sad thing. Here I was thinking, sure this patient is not real happy at the moment and he is having a bit of a tantrum but I am handling it to the best of my abilities. I thought I was doing a good job at keeping him safe and keeping the people near us safe. Yeah, he wasn't happy but that was a bit inevitable because he does not like to be redirected from what he wants to do and when what he wants to do it hurt someone else that is not OK. You have to redirect him and take the chance that he will get upset with you.



So I said to our other co-workers"Well, I think she just volunteered to have him every shift."

I also pointed out that this particular person was a bit more lenient than I am. He may not act up as much when she is taking care of him but that may be attributed in part to her much more laid back style. I am a bit more vigilant about correcting his behaviors while she tends to let him do his own thing and not correct him much. I am not saying either style is right or wrong just different, thus producing different results.



So I was thinking about the whole phenomenon of saying what you think you mean but really conveying a message that is completely different from what you intended--if that makes any sense.



Maybe what she meant to say was, "He seems to be having a difficult day. He didn't act like this the last time I had him. I wonder if he is not feeling well. Let me know if you would like any help." Yeah, so I am going to pretend that is what the intended meaning was.



This week there is more drama in the house because of rumors. Wow, you really have to watch out for those, they are dangerous. We have like 300 employees so by the time a story gets to you it may be very different from the actual original event. You could hypothetically make a innocent comment about seeing The Rocky Horror Picture Show and end up with the reputation of being someone who has posed for pictures (now available on the Internet) dressed up like a sweet transvestite to make money.

Anyway, I hope everyone can see things for what they really are and continue to get along together.

Here is a quote from one of the best movies ever. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

No comments: